I love the blue and all the stitching Treavor's mom has done at his request to repair the coziest blanket ever. I love it not only cause it's comfortable beyond compare, but because sometimes when I use it, memories of our blissful courtship come flooding back.
The obsession didn't stop there.
Every time Owen is watching a movie, or "resting on the couch" he insists on "the cozy blue blanket"
Owen has a stutter. He has for a year now. He's always been extremely verbal and started talking pretty young. A few months after he turned two he woke up one morning stuttering and it hasn't stopped. it's had good days and bad days, but has always been there. We've researched a lot and learned from experts that this is extremely typical and most often toddlers will grow out of it. Well the time finally came that Treavor and I along with the pediatrician felt we needed some extra help. To make a long story short I got in contact with an "expert" who gave us some wrong information. I went against motherly instinct (that is so very real and usually correct, why do I ignore it sometimes?!) and implemented his suggestions. We knew it was wrong immediately! Basically I had just made Owen aware of a problem he had no idea he had. He was a changed little boy for a few days...basically shut down. He began to talk less and when he did, his speech was high pitched and super high in volume. His face would turn red, his vanes would pop out, he would get completely stuck, and unable to get words out, he would experiment with crazy voices and baby talk. It broke my heart watching him, so insecure and frustrated that he couldn't communicate. After fasting and praying that 1. we would find a therapist that would connect with Owen and make him feel loved and 2. he would gain confidence, we decided to take him to a Primary Children's outpatient clinic. We had a 2 hour evaluation where we met a speech therapist named Lori. He absolutely loves her, calls her Roli and cried when we had to leave. We've already learned a lot and will start a 12 week course soon.
I'm writing this, not because it's super exciting to read, but because I wanted to keep a record of little Owie's trials and triumphs in the road ahead and also to document the sweet answer to prayer "Roli" is. Owen trusted her and opened up to her the instant he met her-- a true miracle after I thought about it and realized that he has never responded to any adult that way outsid of our family. He can't wait to see her again...what a blessing!
Also: Lewie was looking pretty dapper on Sunday.

6 comments:
That blue blanket has been lots of places hasn't it! I love that it goes with you guys everywhere and that you have such a cozy blanket. I want a cherished, perfect blanket! I am so happy for Owen and I am so happy that your prayers were answered! And Lewis is looking so grown up, he is looking so much like you Sara!
Aww!! Blue!! So sweet Sara! I'm so glad that you guys were able to find someone for Owen that he truly connected with and I'm so sorry you had to deal with someone who didn't help. xo
Gotta love the blue!! Such a sweet post about sweet Owie! We love you guys! And yes Lewis does look so handsome in his Sunday outfit!
What a sweet example of the many little miracles that Heavenly Father extends so mercifully every day, especially for His little ones and their Moms. I'm so happy you were led to some trusted help. Darling boys!
I remember that blanket, I have slept with it a few nights myself. It's is awesome. I have a blanket from my teenage years I still sleep with every night. I can't bring myself to give it up even thought it's falling apart. I need to give it some TLC. I am with you about the mother's instinct. I want to scream at myself when I don't listen to it. I am so glad that you have found what you need for Owen, he is lucky to have the both of you as parents - there is no one more patient, loving and sweet for him. LOVE the bow tie on Lewis. Why didn't I buy one again?
Sara that is such a sweet post about Owen. It is such a great idea to journal about it. What a blessing it is to have an answer to your prayers. He is so very lucky to have you and Treav as his parents. we love you guys. Love the bow tie by the way!
Post a Comment