8.31.2009

Simplicity


Becoming a mom has made life a little more crazy in so many little ways. However I've been thinking lately how motherhood has also made my life a lot more simple. Owen is a pretty simple guy, with so many simple pleasures and a simple schedule. Being around him all day has made me appreciate new things, and live life a whole new way.
Here are some ways life has been simplified:

- I have never been on more walks in an eleven month period. Ever. The fresh air has done me a lot of good.
- I now spend a half hour at the breakfast table, while listening to music, making animal noises and sharing scrambled eggs. I used to grab a granola bar while rushing out the door (if I was lucky).
- We're in for the night by 7 pm.
- We're able to enjoy little things together. We took Owen to McDonald's and put some french fries in front of him, you would have thought we had taken him to Disneyland.
- To Owen, about ninety percent of life is happy. It makes me happy.
- Nap time is total bliss, for the two of us.

Some aspects of my life feel like they're moving in slow motion (when it comes to actually getting stuff done) because I'm too busy crawling up the stairs 7 times a day, playing peekaboo for twenty minutes, pulling Owen around in a laundry basket, picking up dumped over garbage cans, pulling him out of the very corner of the cupboard he has crawled into, wiping up the spilled dog water bowl, taking his hands out of the toilet, reading stories, and just lov-lov-loving him. In a way life has become so simple.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Andrea W. said...

I LOVE this post. You've described exactly what I love about being a mom. You're such a great Mom, Sara. You seem to understand so naturally what some of us have to remind ourselves, which is to just enjoy these sweet kiddies!

Eliza said...

Sara that was such a great post. You totally summed up the sweet moments of motherhood. ditto to ange saying that you are a great mom, you really are so patient and sweet and seem to savor every moment with your sweet adorable boy!

Anonymous said...

Sara... I just found your blog I dont know if you even remember me from highschool.
Lindsay Johnson.
you have such a cute family and I love your blog post! U seem like the cutest mom ever!
I'd love to read your blog if its ok. and if you want an invite to mine
e-mail me your e-mail address
lindsayjfig@yahoo.com!

Julie said...

Sara, I love it! I totally agree with everything that you wrote. haha. We miss you guys like crazy, wish we could hang out. But we're looking forward to seeing you guys in a few months!

Kathryn said...

Such a touching tribute to your son and joy you have being a mommy!! I love it!

Kim said...

Cute, Sara! Having little ones in the house really does simplify things and make everything new and fun again. I remember when Mylee was born--I started singing around the house again. Now that she is 2 we're still singing. I hope that doesn't change.

Mama Beus said...

You need to be a writer! You are an amazing mother and it is so great that you have discovered in such a short time what it takes most of us (and by most of us I mean me) years to figure out! Thanks for the great reminder!

Tristen said...

I am so glad that you are enjoying motherhood! You are an AMAZING mother! Thanks for the reminder that motherhood has it's positive moments. With so many little ones around, I get caught up in the business and not the silliness of life.

Natalie said...

This post is AWESOME. Very well said!